SHOW DATES: Saturday and Sunday, December 9&10, 2017
The Art Providence Holiday Show replaces the RISD Alumni & Student Holiday Sale after its successful 20-year run and will now feature over 200 artists and artisans from the greater New England area and beyond.
Considered the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution in America, Providence has a long, rich history of creating and making. Known more recently as the Creative Capital, it is home to the Rhode Island School of Design, Brown University, and other premiere academic institutions – all of which enrich the city’s creative community and cement its reputation as one of the crown jewels of art, design, and making in the US and beyond. Providence is also a vibrant yet accessible city in terms of restaurants, nightlife and live entertainment. It is becoming increasingly popular as a weekend getaway destination.
But don't just take it from us... check out this article in Providence Monthly:
The expanded, two-day Art Providence Holiday Show will take place at the Rhode Island Convention Center in downtown Providence and will showcase approximately 200 artists over the course of the weekend. Tickets will be $10 for two days or $8 for one day. In order to continue the RISD legacy, a limited number of RISD Alumni and Students will have the option of a one-day sale (Saturday only). All work will be reviewed and selected for appearance in the show by blind jury.
Please contact us with questions at email@example.com.
Rhode Island Convention Ctr
1 Sabin Street
Providence, RI 02903
SAT DEC 9 10am - 6pm
SUN DEC 10 10am - 5pm
ART PROVIDENCE HOLIDAY SHOW 2018
SHOW DATES: DECEMBER 8 & 9, 2018.
LOCATION: Rhode Island Convention Center, 1 Sabin Street, Providence RI 02903
Presented by Rhode Island-based ArtSmart Productions, the Art Providence Holiday Show was created in 2017 to (a) replace the Rhode Island School of Design’s holiday show after its successful 20-year run, (b) open the show to other talented US-based artists and artisans and (c) become one of the premiere arts and crafts events in New England.
Considered the birthplace of the Industrial Revolution in America, Providence has a long, rich history of creating and making. Known more recently as the Creative Capital, it is home to the Rhode Island School of Design, Brown University, and other premiere academic institutions – all of which enrich the city’s creative community and cement its reputation as one of the crown jewels of art, design, and making in the US. Providence is also a vibrant yet accessible city in terms of restaurants, nightlife and live entertainment. It is becoming increasingly popular as a weekend getaway destination.
In short, we can think of no better city in which to celebrate and promote the work of artists and artisans than Providence.
The show will take place at the Rhode Island Convention Center in downtown Providence and will host approximately 200 artists over the course of the weekend, covering a variety of 3D and 2D categories.
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
A qualified panel of three jurors is assembled each year to select artists making superlative work in baskets, ceramics, decorative fiber, wearable fiber, drawing, furniture, glass, graphics, jewelry, leather, metal, mixed media, painting, paper, photography, sculpture and wood.
All images will be viewed using computer monitors. Applicants will be notified of jury selections on Juried Art Services and via email shortly after the completion of the jury process.
Wait-listed exhibitors are queued for acceptance based on their juror scores and media category. Approximately 85% of artists will be selected through an open jury process and 15% will be invited by the jurors.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
(Contract as agreed via application on Juried Art Services or directly through show management)
The undersigned to the Art Providence Holiday Sale 2018 Contract to which these Terms and Conditions are attached agrees to the following:
Artists must be present with their work for the entire show. If the work is collaborative, each collaborator must be present at the Show.
No commercial agents, dealers or manufacturers may attend in place of the artist.
All artists must check in at registration upon arrival.
Booth set-up takes place between 8am and 4:30pm on Friday, December 7, 2018. Artists will be assigned specific load-in times within that window. All booths must be completely set up and ‘show ready’ by 5pm, in time for the VIP Preview Event which lasts until 7pm. Artists must be present for the VIP Preview Event.
Artists must provide a working e-mail address and are responsible for adjusting filters to allow incoming e-mails from ArtSmart Productions and the Art Providence Holiday Show.
Unacceptable Practices: Kits, molds, dried or silk ﬂowers, green-ware, manufactured strung beads, embellished objects and ready-made clothing will not be accepted for exhibition.
All work displayed must be consistent with images submitted. Any work that is not consistent with the jury images, or does not comply with the standards outlined above may not be exhibited at the Show.
Artists wishing to exhibit work produced in more than one media category must submit an application and jury fee for each category. Only one exhibitor booth fee is necessary, even if the artist is selected to exhibit works produced in multiple media. Only one application may be submitted per body of work represented. Multiple applications must represent either work in different media categories or distinctly separate bodies of work within one category. Artists whose work is selected in multiple media categories must still exhibit in one booth space. The Show promoter, ArtSmart Productions, reserves the right to refuse any application.
· All refund requests must be submitted in writing.
· Artists who cancel participation by June 29, 2018 are eligible for a 75% refund of the booth fee.
· Artists who cancel participation between June 30, 2018 and October 30, 2018 are eligible for a 50% refund of the booth fee.
· Booth Fees are not refundable starting October 31, 2018.
Artist authorizes the Show to use Artist’s images to promote the Show. Artist authorizes the Show to use images and/or video of the Artist and/or the Artist’s work to promote the Show.
Artist hereby releases and forever discharges ArtSmart Productions, RI Convention Center, the City of Providence, the County of Providence and its officials, all sponsoring organizations of the Show, and their respective affiliated companies, parent companies, subsidiaries, directors, officers, shareholders, employees, agents and volunteers (collectively the “Released Parties”) from any and all responsibility, personal liability, torts, claims, loss or damage of any kind or nature whatsoever, arising out of or related in any way to the Artist’s participation in the Show.
Artist agrees to indemnify and hold the Released Parties harmless from any and all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses, including reasonable attorneys’ fees and court costs, arising out of or in connection with (a) the Artist’s exhibition space at the Show, (b) any violation or infringement (or claim of violation or infringement) of any law or ordinance or the rights of any party under any patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, or other intellectual proprietary right, and (c) the Artist’s participation in the Show.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE RELEASED PARTIES BE LIABLE FOR ANY INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, INCURRED BY ARTIST WHETHER IN AN ACTION IN CONTRACT OR TORT, EVEN IF ARTIST HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.
Artist assumes the risk of all dangerous conditions in or about the Show and waives any and all specific notice of the existence of such conditions. ArtSmart Productions at all times reserves the right to return a booth fee and refuse Artist’s participation in the Show, at ArtSmart Productions’ sole discretion.
This Agreement is governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the State of Rhode Island. Any suit brought to enforce or otherwise related to this Agreement shall be brought in a court situated in Providence County, Rhode Island. Artist hereby subjects himself or herself to the exclusive personal jurisdiction of Providence County, Rhode Island in all suits or other enforcement actions arising out of or related to this Agreement.
No waiver of any provision of this Agreement by ArtSmart Productions shall be effective unless made in writing and signed by the owner of ArtSmart Productions.
The failure of ArtSmart Productions to require the performance of any term or obligation of this Agreement, or the waiver by ArtSmart Productions of any breach of this Agreement, shall not prevent any subsequent enforcement of such term or obligation or be deemed a waiver of any subsequent breach.
The Released Parties shall not be liable in the event ArtSmart Productions is forced to cancel the Show due to circumstances beyond ArtSmart Productions’ reasonable control, such as, but not limited to, acts of God, acts of war, governmental emergency, labor strike, or inclement weather. Artist expressly recognizes ArtSmart Productions’ right to cancel the Show or change the Show dates.
Artist shall abide by and observe all federal, state, and local laws, codes, ordinances, rules, and regulations, and all rules and regulations of the Show. Without limiting the generality of the foregoing, Artist shall construct its booth space to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
Artist may not assign this contract or any right herein nor may the Artist sublet or assign any portion of its exhibit space without the prior written consent of ArtSmart Productions, in its sole discretion.
Any and all matters pertaining to the Show and not specifically covered by these terms and conditions shall be subject to determination by ArtSmart Productions in its sole discretion. ArtSmart Productions may adopt rules or regulations from time to time governing such matters and may amend or revoke them at any time, upon reasonable notice to the Artist. Any such rules and regulations are an integral part of this Agreement and are incorporated herein by reference and shall have the full force and effect as if such rules and regulations are fully set forth herein. Artist is expected to observe and abide by these additional and/or amended rules and regulations.
Artists Standards of Eligibility
DESCRIPTION OF ACCEPTABLE MEDIA AND CATEGORIES
CERAMICS: Functional and non-functional clay works excluding clay jewelry and clay sculpture. No part of the finished pieces shall be the result of mass production.
DRAWING AND GRAPHICS: Work created using dry media such as chalk, charcoal, pastels, pencil, and crayons or from fluid media, such as ink applied by brush or pen. Printed works from which the artist creates the plates, stones or screens and pulls the prints are accepted.
FIBER: Work created from fibers, including leatherwork, basketry, papermaking, weaving, etc. No machine tooling, machine screening or any form of mass production is permitted. T-shirts and commercial clothing are ineligible.
GLASS: Functional and non-functional items are accepted. No part of the finished pieces shall be the result of mass production. Pressed glass objects are not permitted.
JEWELRY: Personal adornment. Original and unique designs incorporating any of the following: gold, silver, gemstones, glass, wood, clay and other non-precious materials.
What is not permitted: strung pearls, craft clay, and use of commercial casts or molds; commercially available pendants and brooches, catalogue merchandise. Loose stones may not be sold.
MIXED MEDIA: Includes 2-D and 3-D non-sculptural work, incorporating more than one type of physical material or processes in its production, i.e. an etching that is then painted or a collage of handmade paper and photography.
SCULPTURE (LARGE): Defined as over 3 feet tall, functional and non-functional, 3-D work in any medium.
SCULPTURE (SMALL): Defined as less than 3 feet tall, functional and non-functional, 3-D work in any medium.
PAINTINGS: Original 2-D work created in oils, acrylics, watercolor, etc.
PHOTOGRAPHY: Limited edition prints from the artist’s original film or digital file. The edition quantity shall not exceed 250 of any one image.
WOOD: Works crafted from wood, excluding furniture and sculpture that are hand tooled, machine turned or machine carved. No magnifying glasses, pens, bottle stoppers or catalogue merchandise are permitted.
• Works produced with commercial kits (molds, patterns, plans, prefabricated forms, or other commercial methods) are not permitted.
• Artwork must have been created within the last 5 years, defined as works conceived between 2013 to present.
• Exhibited work must be consistent with the digital images or slides submitted by the artist and follow Show guidelines.
• Paintings, graphics, prints, and photographs must be appropriately framed or matted and must be displayed in a suitable panel, portfolio or stand.
• Only the work of the juried artist or collaborating team may be displayed and/or sold.
• There will be a $20 floor limit for all work sold. Artists are asked not to display discount signs.
• Work produced with commercial kits (molds, patterns, plans, prefabricated forms, or other commercial methods) is not permitted.
· Reproductions include, but are not limited to, the following non-original medium: silkscreen, lithography, intaglio, and giclee prints, signed or unsigned.
· Whether framed or unframed, these must be clearly and individually labeled “REPRODUCTION” or “LIMITED EDITION REPRODUCTION”. Please note that limited edition and giclee prints of no more than 25 from one source will be permitted.
· Reproductions must not be displayed in the same browse bins as original art work. However, exhibited (bins, hanging, etc.), reproductions must not comprise more than 10% count of your total booth display.
• Approximately 200 artist booths will be placed throughout Show area.
• Each standard booth area is 10’W×10’D x 8’H. Booth fee does not cover electricity, WIFI, displays, additional cross-bars, floor coverings or other furnishings.
• Each Early Stage Artist Program (ESAP) booth is a large, shared 20’W x 10’D x 8’H ‘community booth’ that will feature 6 artists, each of whom will have a dedicated space of 4’W x 2’D x 8’H. (The center of the booth will be designated as common space.)
• Regular (non-ESAP) artists are responsible for providing display equipment. Electricity is available from the convention center.
• All materials must be kept within the assigned booth area. Display, bins, or work cannot extend out into traffic areas.
• Paintings, graphics, prints and photographs must be appropriately framed or matted and must be displayed in a suitable panel, portfolio or stand.
• Standard booth fees do not cover electricity, WIFI, displays, floor coverings, furnishings, or additional crossbars. Electricity can be purchased directly from the RI Convention Center.
• ESAP booth fees include electricity, basic lighting and a display structure. ESAP booth fees do not over WIFI, floor covering, additional furnishings or ancillary services such a shipping.
• Artists may exhibit work in two or more categories if they have applied and have been accepted in each category.
• Art displayed in artists’ booths must fit the media category/categories for which they were juried (i.e. an artist juried only in the ceramic medium may not display ceramic jewelry).
• Artists must personally attend their booth for the duration of the Show. Booth sitters are available to artists for short breaks. Smoking is not permitted in booth area or in patron shopping area.
• ESAP applications are restricted to artists who have been selling their work in public forums for no more than 4 years.
• Artists may submit only one type of application – Regular or ESAP.
• Early-stage artists who prefer a standard booth (instead of an ESAP community booth) may apply as a Regular artist, but may not then submit a second application for ESAP.
FAILURE TO MEET THE STANDARDS
Artists will be expected to adhere to the Show Rules. ArtSmart Productions retains the right to remove any ineligible artwork from the exhibition. Further, ArtSmart Productions and their representatives also have the right to refuse or remove an artist for non-compliance of Show rules with no refund.
By applying to the show via Juried Arts Services and/or directly through ArtSmart Productions, I agree to all Terms and Conditions set forth in this agreement which constitutes the Contract.
(End Terms and Conditions)
Tickets will be $8.50 per adult per day. Kids 12 and under get in free.
Please contact us with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our vision for the Art Providence Holiday Show December 9-10 is for the event to be on par with such juried shows as those run by the American Craft Council, the Society of Arts and Crafts (CraftBoston), etc. - across similar categories and with the same level of artistic skill and/or craftsmanship. In other words, a very high level of work that will be juried by blind jury. While we're serious about the level of work, we also hope to infuse the show with some fun and some philanthropy - details TBD as we move closer to the date. You can watch it unfold here our website and on our Facebook page.
About ArtSmart Productions
I’ve long wanted to leverage my marketing skills developed in the corporate world - working for companies like Hasbro, PepsiCo, etc. - to help promote the work of artists and artisans to a broader audience. I'm well-versed in marketing, branding, advertising, etc. - on a national and global level. And as an artist myself (www.lauraburkettdesigns.com), I have taken part in the aforementioned shows and thus know the landscape from the artists' perspective. Although not a RISD graduate, I developed a deep respect for this school through the eyes of my late uncle, Malcolm Grear (Professor Emeritus), who taught scores of RISD graphic design students for nearly four decades. He had a tremendous impact on the world of graphic design and on me personally. To bring this show to life, I'm working with a team of talented, art savvy individuals who provide additional support, from event operations to show promotion.
Laura Burkett, Show Director